Astra also provides the following service:
- Material and aerospace facilities experimentation
- Plasma-spray coating
- Experimentation and tests of prototypes and aerospace items in wind tunnel (force, pressure, temperature and
heat fluxes measurement)
- Critical temperature testing
- High Speed Impact condition testing
- Erosion's study tests
- Numerical simulation of thermofluid dynamics processes
- Production and updating of aeronautic manuals
Astra has its own instrumentation for the measure of:
- Ph, conductivity, oxygen dissolved in water and other fluids
- Pressure, vacuum, speed, temperature, fluid mass flow
- Noise, brightness and microclimate in work enviroments
- Surface temperature (thermocouples, infrared thermography)
Moreover company's know how and experience allow Astra to identify iteself as "prime contractor" also for measurement instrumentation's dimentioning and realization on customer's demand.
Astra has the possibility (hardware and software) and the technical skills to afford projects of high complexity for:
- Electrical, hydraulic, climatization and heating plants
- Gas distribution, fire and other typer plants
The technical assistance servicehas been conceived and realized both for consumable materials furniture (probes, solutions, spare parts) and for consulence for particular measurement.
The SMart On-board Systems (SM.O.S) project by CIRA (Italian Center for Aerospace Research) provides for the development of new technologies regarding general on-board systems, such as Anti-Icing / De-Icing characterized by low weight and low power consumption.
Astra has won a two-years (2016 – 2017) Research Contract with CIRA to design, manufacturing and testing an Anti/De-Icing System for a NACA0012 Airfoil, based on electrical resistances embedded in a composite laminate leading edge. The project has ended at the Preliminary Design Phase; in the future it will foreseen the refinement of the design and the Final Testing Phase in a full scale Wind Tunnel.
Astra is designing a small-sized icing wind tunnel, with the primary purpose of testing its own anti-de-icing systems. Feature of the tunnel will be the availability two configurations: a low speed configuration (10 m/s) with a test chamber 50x50 cm, usable for test of samples of anti-de-incing systems in full scale. A second configuration will be characterized by higher speeds (30-50 m/s) with a 20x20 cm test chamber, which can be used for the characterization of probes and other small-scale systems for icing detection and / or protection.